Texas Silver Haired Legislature



Texas Silver-Haired Legislature (TSHL) is a non-partisan statewide body of dedicated persons (60 years of age and older) elected to draft proposed legislation on aging issues.  Legislative issues developed by the TSHL are presented for active consideration as bills to the Texas Legislature.  Silver-Haired Legislators are elected for two-year terms, with the election held April 30, 2021.
The electoral process for the Nineteenth Texas Silver-Haired Legislature in the counties of Collin, Denton, Ellis, Erath, Hood, Hunt, Johnson, Kaufman, Navarro, Palo Pinto, Parker, Rockwall, Somervell and Wise will be coordinated by the North Central Texas Council of Governments Area Agency on Aging.  This 14-county region is divided into five election districts with one representative from each district to be elected to serve in the TSHL.  The five districts are:
District 1:          Denton and Wise counties
District 2:          Collin, Hunt, Kaufman and Rockwall Counties
District 3:          Ellis, Navarro, and Johnson Counties
District 4:          Erath, Hood, Palo Pinto, Parker and Somervell counties
District 5:          At Large
Any Texan 60 years of age or older on January 1, 2021, and a registered voter living in the area where candidacy is sought may run for the Texas Silver-Haired Legislature.  Those persons wishing to run for office must file petitions for candidacy with the North Central Texas Area Agency on Aging by February 26, 2021.  To file, new prospective candidates must have signatures from at least 25 registered voters age 60 and older who support their candidacy and who reside in their election district.  Election Day is Friday, April 30, 2021.
Candidacy forms, petitions and information regarding the TSHL are available by calling 1-800-272-3921 or by emailing mhensley@nctcog.org .
The area agencies located in Dallas and Fort Worth are coordinating TSHL activities in Dallas County and Tarrant County respectively.  Residents of Tarrant County should call (817) 258-8080, and Dallas County residents should call (214) 871-5065.