Walk to School Day
Photo Contest Winners!
|1st Place: Nichols Elementary||2nd Place: Pink Elementary||3rd Place: Nichols Elementary|
|Photos courtesy of Nichols Elementary and Pink Elementary Schools|
Walk to School Day 2022 was celebrated on Wednesday, October 12! Children and adults around the world celebrated the benefits of walking and bicycling, and spotlighted the importance of traffic safety.
Walk to School Day is an event where students, parents, school staff, and community members join in a morning walk to school that offers fun physical activity. The community’s presence on the streets reminds us to help create calm, safe routes to school for students to walk and bicycle. Students who safely walk to school are more likely to arrive at school ready to learn!
Save the date for next year’s event: Wednesday, October 4! Check out the schools that have participated in Texas in previous years! The National Walk and Bike to School Day website has a record of registered events from 2018 to 2022.
There are plenty of other opportunities to find an active way to travel in our region! North Texas will also be hosting Bike to Work celebrations in May 2023! For more information, see the Bike to Work Month Webpage.
NCTCOG's Walk to School Day Promotion
Twenty schools received FREE promotional materials to support their Walk to School Day events by registering their event with NCTCOG. Each promotional kit included a Walk to School Day banner, and other safety and encouragement items for students. Participating schools also entered their students’ names into a raffle to win one of four Brand-New Bikes! The 2022 Walk to School Day promotion was presented at the NCTCOG November 2022 Public Meeting. See the slides and recording here.
Sign up to stay informed about NCTCOG’s 2023 Walk to School Day promotional efforts below!
- Find an active way to get to school on Wednesday – Welcome to the City of Fort Worth (fortworthtexas.gov)
- Students Encouraged to Participate in Walk to School Day on October 12 (irvingweekly.com)
- Walk to School Day highlights safety for students across North Texas - North Dallas Gazette
Walk to School Day Organizer Resources
- WalkBikeToSchool’s Event Ideas for Students too Far to Walk or Roll
- How to Plan an Event in 7 Days - Checklist
- Customizable Event Flier (English)
- Customizable Event Flier (Spanish)
- Sample Text - Parent Outreach Letter
- Sample Text - Parent Reminder Email
- SafeRoutesInfo: Walking School Bus Guide
Staff Contact: Erin Curry