DFW Discovery Trail
Photo Courtesy of City of Arlington
Regional Trail Branding and Wayfinding Initiative
The regional Trail Branding and Wayfinding Initiative was completed in January 2023. Through this initiative, the five cities of Fort Worth, Arlington, Grand Prairie, Irving, and Dallas collaborated with NCTCOG to develop the following:
- A unified name, logos, and branding for the 60+ mile trail connecting downtown Fort Worth and downtown Dallas
- Wayfinding and signage best practices and implementation guidance
- Recommendations for:
- Events: Local, regional, and national
- Safety: 911 signage and trail lighting
- Messaging: electronic message boards and counters
- M&O: ongoing trail maintenance and operations, and marketing
Through a public and stakeholder engagement process, consensus was built for the trail corridor branding and logos:
Each jurisdictional logo reflects a wildlife species that may be found along DFW Discovery Trail.
The DFW Discovery Trail Branding and Wayfinding - Final Report and Recommendations outlines the project background, public engagement, trail branding, and wayfinding system design as well as trail infrastructure and programming recommendations.
The DFW Discovery Trail Wayfinding Best Practices highlights the trail's wayfinding and branding elements and principles, signage selection and programming, and signage placement guidance. This review is intended to guide implementation of signage and branding on the DFW Discovery Trail.
- Virtual Open House: Closed December 8, 2021
The virtual Open House introduced the Fort Worth to Dallas Regional Trail Branding and Wayfinding Project and gathered participants' input about how and where they use the trail, as well as design concept preferences.
- Fort Worth to Dallas Regional Trail Branding and Wayfinding Project Update
Public Feedback Forum: Closed June 20, 2022
The Public Feedback Forum allowed participants to vote on their favorite name and logo pairing for the Fort Worth to Dallas Regional trail and gathered participants' input about important destinations along the trail as well as how and where they use the trail.
- Media: Fort Worth Report - Explainer: How will a "superhighway of trails" connecting Fort Worth to Dallas affect North Texas? (5-15-22)
- Media: Dallas Morning News - A new trail will link Dallas, Fort Worth, Arlington and more cities. What should it be called? (4/26/22)
DFW Discovery Trail Overview
In 2013, NCTCOG convened the mayors of the five core cities of the Dallas-Fort Worth Region - Fort Worth, Arlington, Grand Prairie, Irving, and Dallas - to discuss the idea of a continuous regional trail from Downtown Fort Worth to Downtown Dallas. The trail alignment would be approximately 66 miles once completed.
The trail was highlighted as a resource and asset to their communities from an economic development perspective and tourism aspect, as well as the benefits to health and reduction of congestion that alternative transportation routes can offer.
Regional Trail History & Resources
DFW Discovery Trail Connection Map (updated March 2023)
DFW Discovery Trail Location Map (updated March 2023)
Trail Funded and Planned Sections (Local Contact Information)
In November 2013, a meeting coordinated by NCTCOG brought together the Mayors from the five core cities of the Dallas-Fort Worth region to discuss the idea of a Regional Trail from Downtown Fort Worth to Downtown Dallas.
On October 11, 2018, the Regional Transportation Council (RTC) funded an additional 3.1-mile trail section for construction that will complete a continuous 53-mile southern alignment connecting the five cities.
On April 11, 2019, the Mayors met again at NCTCOG to express continued support and collaboration to implement the trail through each of the cities. Engineering and construction of various sections of the trail continue to advance, with construction of most of the trail alignment expected to be completed in 2024.
Presentation to Mayors on April 11, 2019
Presentation to RTC on October 11, 2018
Presentation at Mayors' Luncheon on November 8, 2013
Previous Media Coverage:
- Media: GreenSourceDFW - Arlington vote brings dream of biking between Dallas and Fort Worth closer (12-15-20)
- Media: CBS Dallas/Fort Worth - $36M to Fund Two New Trails Connecting Fort Worth and Dallas (10-11-18)
- Media: Star-Telegram Online - Wanna ride your bike from Fort Worth to Dallas? Here's how soon it could happen (06-29-18)
- Media: KERA News - A New Trail Brings North Texas Closer to a 64-Mile Bike Superhighway (9-10-15)
- December 13, 2013 Press Release
- What Mayors are Saying about Bike-Pedestrian Connectivity
- Media: GreenSourceDFW - Regional plan on track to connect Dallas to Fort Worth by trail
- Media: NBC5 Cities Move Plans Forward to Connect DFW Bike Trails
- Media: CBS11 Bicycle-Pedestrian Trail Could Connect Dallas And Fort Worth
Staff Contact: Shawn Conrad