Heavy-Duty Diesel Vehicle Inspection and Maintenance Working Group
The North Central Texas Council of Governments (NCTCOG) facilitates the Heavy-Duty Diesel Emissions Inspection Working Group for jurisdictions in the United States and abroad to share information about heavy-duty diesel vehicle (HDDV) emissions inspection and maintenance (I/M) programs and coordinate research and planning efforts.
Thursday, August 17, 2023 10:30am-12:00pm (CST)
Map of I/M Programs by State*
*As of 2019. Data pulled from each state's I/M program website
Heavy-Duty Diesel Vehicle Emissions Inspection Survey
The following jurisdictions indicated they do currently perform HDDV inspections.
The following jurisdictions indicated they do not currently perform HDDV inspections.
Jurisdiction representatives may access the program survey at this link to provide details of existing HDDV I/M efforts. Please contact staff below to update information already provided.
Heavy-Duty Diesel Vehicle Emissions Measurement Equipment Survey
This survey seeks to understand requirements for on-road heavy-duty diesel vehicle emissions measurement equipment. While HD diesel vehicles are the primary focus, the device could also be useful for light-duty applications. The survey will ask to rank the importance of various features and will delve further into required specifications. Access the survey at this link.
- Heavy-Duty Diesel I/M Pilot--Phase 1 Final Report [PDF]
- Heavy-Duty Diesel I/M Pilot--Phase 2 Final Report [PDF]
- Remote Sensing of On-Road Vehicle Emissions: Mechanism, Applications and a Case Study from Hong Kong [PDF]
Tampered Diesel Pickup Trucks: A Review of Aggregated Evidence from EPA Civil Enforcement Investigations [PDF]
Future Research Possibilities
- How NOx and PM are affected by reductions in opacity
- Commercial equipment and software necessary to directly measure NOx and PM in an I/M environment
- How well OBD identifies high emitting vehicles
- Given the interstate travel of most of the HDD fleet, an interstate telematic OBD solution coordinated between states would be preferable to a state-by-state solution; central HDD OBD test data repository with multi-state access would also be worth researching
Conferences and Networking Opportunities
- Coordinating Research Council Real World Emissions Workshop
- Portable Emissions Measurement Systems International Conference
- I/M Solutions Training Forum
- OBD Clearinghouse
- I/M Program Information Interactive Map
- California Portable Emissions Acquisition System (PEAQS) video