Training to Understand Dementia and Provide Better Care
Dementia Friendly Training Programs
Not sure why your family member's behaviors are changing and what to do about those changes? Learn how dementia affects people and how to take good care of your family member and yourself.
Dementia Friendly North Central/East Texas is proud to support the Alzheimer's Alliance of Smith County, Alzheimer's Associations of North Central and Greater Dallas/Northeast Texas, the Community for Permanent Supported Housing, and James L. West Dementia Care Center as they provide free training to family caregivers. Training programs funded through Dementia Friendly include the following.
- Compassionate Touch© – Learn how to use touch to communicate and calm someone with dementia.
- Dementia Live© – Learn what it's like to live with dementia and how to provide better care.
- Resources for Enhancing Alzheimer's Caregiver Health (REACH) – Call 817-336-4949 if in North Central Texas or 903-509-8323 if in East Texas. REACH provides one-on-one support and education to help deal with challenging behaviors and reduce stress.
- Understanding the Aging Process and Dementia Risk among Adult Children with Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities. Contact Doni Green for details.
Other Free Training Programs
The North Central Texas Council of Governments, through its Area Agency on Aging, supports the following dementia training programs:
- Dementia Education (including live, virtual, and online classes) through the Alzheimer's Association
- Dealing with Dementia through James L. West
- Stress-Busting for Family Caregivers© through James L. West
Dementia Friendly North Central/East Texas is supported in part by grant number 90ADPI0070, from the U.S. Administration for Community Living (ACL), DHHS, Washington, D.C. 20201. The services are not necessarily endorsed by ACL/HHS.