Pollution prevention, or P2, is any practice that eliminates or reduces pollution at its source. P2 is achieved through material substitutions, process changes and more efficient use of resources. Pollution Prevention, also referred to as Good Housekeeping, is one of the six measures the operator of a Small MS4 is required to include in its stormwater management program.
Pollution prevention measures, as applied to local government operations, can result in multiple benefits:
- Cost savings in production, materials and disposal
- Increase public awareness of local water quality issues
- Create safer working conditions for city/county staff, and
- Your community leads by example, encouraging local businesses to implement their own pollution prevention measures.
- Template for Municipal Pollution Prevention BMP Posters - A template for 13 tabloid (11" x 17") posters to help train municipal employees about stormwater pollution prevention and best management practices (BMPs). Cities can customize the template with their appropriate text, contacts, logos, etc.
- Compilation of Selected Standard Operating Procedures - A Resource for Stormwater Phase II Communities in North Central Texas
- Self-Audit Guidebook Template
- Training for Municipal Employees: Preventing Stormwater Pollution - What We Can Do Video, Poster and Training Modules
- Stormwater Pollution Prevention Online Training Portal
- Training the Trainer workshop and materials
- Webinar: Municipal BMP "Show and Tell" - Held on May 11, 2021, this webinar showcased several stormwater and other municipal Best Management Practices (BMPs) being implemented around the region. Presentations were given by the Cities of Frisco, Plano, Irving, Mansfield, and McKinney. View the presentation or recording.
Fact Sheet on Stormwater Phase II - Pollution Prevention/Good Housekeeping Minimum Control Measure [PDF]
Example Pollution Prevention/Good Housekeeping BMPs for Municipal Operations
TPDES Stormwater Permitting for MS4s
Preventing Nonpoint Source Pollution: A Guide to Pollution Prevention for Small Business
Small Business and Local Government Assistance